Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Perfect Wednesday

When I picked up Emily's little make up bag to take it to her room, I noticed that it was unusually heavy. After all she only keeps lip gloss and a little compact in there.

When I opened it and found this, I couldn't help but think about how PERFECTLY it suited where she is at right now....somewhere between jawbreakers and perfume.

A little later KayLi came walking toward me carrying this basket, that sits PERFECTLY out of reach, on a high shelf in her closet.

It normally contains some of her hair stuff.

Apparently she thought this was the PERFECT basket for these. Yes they are real. And yes I had to fight the urge to yell and laugh all at once as I very calmly said "Can I have the basket, please?"

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that she was watching these guys learn about birds?

Not too long after the egg incident I turned around and found KayLi gulping...yes gulping...my coffee as quickly as she possibly could. Note the cup is half empty! When she saw me she started immediately blowing it and saying "Hot coffee. I blow it for you." Wasn't she sweet to try and make my coffee the PERFECT temperature for me?

So what made this Wednesday so PERFECT? While KayLi was watching this, she turned to me and said "Flying Fairy School. I did it! I did it! Flying Fairy School!" She was giggling with joy because for her to ALMOST PERFECTLY pronounce two words that start with an F back to back and follow it with a very clear S word was HUGE!!! PERFECTLY HUGE!!!

Did I mention that's it's only 11:45 am and a friend of mine and I are cooking Chicken Spaghetti for about 70 people at church tonight?

Yeah and I just had to take a break from writting this because KayLi just walked over to me and said, "Mama, KayLi messy." When I looked down she was showing me that she was soaked with water. She had emptied a full sippy cup onto the coffee table and proceeded to spread it around finger paint style. I'm not even stopping to take a picure of the PERFECT mess or how wet she is.

Yep, a PERFECT Wednesday!!!

Update and clarification: After reading Kristi's comment and rereading this post, I thought I better clarify a little...just in case you have a three year old or a child with a cleft. KayLi did not pronounce "Flying Fairy School" perfectly. It was more like "Fwyin Faiwy Skoo" What was so huge was that she got the F's and S out perfectly! Especially in back to back words. She still has very far to go in her speech and language development. Her speech therapist feels she will be in therapy for at least a year. I would hate for anyone whose child has a cleft to feel that progressing that quickly is possible and that for whatever reason their child is behind. I'll post more about her speech and therapy as soon as I clean up all the the open washable markers KayLi used on a coloring book and half my dining room table. It's still PERFECT around here!

6 comments:

Tara Anderson said...

Your "perfect" days sound alot like mine!!! :)

Kristi said...

From jawbreakers and perfume to eggs in a basket, I'd say that your girls are perfect indeed. And that Miss KayLi was able to say Fly Fairy School? My Ky still can't say school correctly and she's been with English speakers since she was 11 months AND she didn't have a cleft. Great job KayLi. Must be the coffee...

Rachelle said...

When you have a child with cleft, you celebrate all the "perfect words" you can! Congrats, KayLi!

Hunan Mommy said...

Love it! Especially about the little make up bag. I remember seeing her on the trip and thinking she just seemed to take the whole thing in stride! KayLi is so adorable, love the basket of eggs. Such fun to see how their minds work!

Cara

Tami said...

Lisa,

I just wrote an email to someone stating that I HOPE by posting about this and receiving the wonderful comments (and unfortunately NOT so wonderful comments from individuals who obviously have issues and know nothing about attachment issues), this would be a resource, and help others feel not so alone when this happens. I hit the send/receive button and got your thoughtful
comment:-)...thank you.

It's wonderful to hear your sweet KayLi is doing better...it gives me hope. There are so many things that I think we just take for grantid when it comes to the mother-child bond, and ALL that it encompasses and affects in a child's life.

Wishing you continues success and many blessings!!!

Melissa said...

hahaha....this made my day reading this!!!! I would love to be a fly on the wall watching KayLi at times!!!!