Monday, December 29, 2008

KayLi's 100 Good Wishes Quilt


Many of you already know that I am working on a very special quilt for KayLi. I have been procrastinating SO badly about sewing this precious quilt! I don't sew much and this quilt feels very intimidating! But I have a great friend who sews beautifully and she has agreed to hold my hand or push me forward, whatever it takes!!! Love Ya, T.J.!!!!

Just in case I haven't invited/pestered you into being part of this project and you don't know what I'm talking about, there is a tradition in Northern China to make a Bai Jia Bei or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. The custom is to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth with a wish for the baby. The patch of cloth goes into the quilt for the baby, and the wish (or prayer or scripture in some cases) goes into a scrapbook. The quilt is said to contain the prayers and wishes from all the family and friends who contributed each piece of fabric. It is then passed down from generation to generation.

If you would like to contribute to KayLi's quilt, simply e-mail me (my address is on the sidebar) and I'll e-mail you our mailing address. Then just send me two 8 inch squares of whatever fabric you like (I've learned that cotton is easiest to sew) and your "wish" for KayLi.

How awesome it will be to read the"good wishes" to KayLi when she is older! Oh, how I long for her to know how much she was wanted!

So many of you have given fabric to be sewn into her quilt and I'm so thankful for you and your sweet wishes! A special thanks to Joyce Baggett for the embroidered square above...I love it!!!

I'll be posting about the progress we make as soon as we begin to sew it! Then once it's finished I'll put up pictures of it, so you can find your square!!! Thank you so much for welcoming our daughter in such a special way!!!

No comments: